Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fall Festival Buttons!

Oh no!  I forgot to set a deadline.  So that I can order them in time, I need all button design submissions by Wednesday, October 6th.  Midnight, let's say, for you creative night owls ;).

a reminder of "what-the-hoot-the?" (Marian used to say this when she was 5 and I still think it's really funny), from the parent newsletter:

* FALL FESTIVAL BUTTONS! We will be selling small pin-on buttons featuring original student art this year.  Any student may submit (to the office) a 4” square two-dimensional artwork to be considered We will choose the 5 designs that best fit the Fall Festivals autumnal theme, and print 40 of each design in a full-color limited edition button to sell for $1 each at Fall Fest.  Keep in mind that the finished products will be round and 1.25” diameter as you plan your design.  Were all excited to be your collectors!

***edit****
I've received a few buttonly queries, and thought I'd answer them here on the off-chance that anyone's reading & has the same concerns.

Q1:  Does this mean that only the middle circle of 1.25” diameter of the design will show, so the design should focus on that area?
If so, why does the artwork need to be 4” square?
 
Or does it mean that you’ll be scaling down the designs?  Say, by a factor of 2 perhaps?
A1:  Hi, thanks for your button interest :).  I hope I can clarify.

The finished button will be 1.25" diameter, and show a scaled-down version of the entire artwork.  I rather arbitrarily asked for 4" submission, a size I have worked with before in making buttons from my children's artwork.  It's easy for me to work with:  I can scan the art & send to my button woman, who then scales it down for me.  It's hard for most young children to do fine work that might be appropriate for the size, but  their drawings look great on wee buttons when shrunk.  I have observed that starting with a smaller-than-standard 4" keeps kids thinking small, but also keeps them from adding the kind of detail that would be lost when miniaturized.
 
Q2:  Do you know if the teachers are telling kiddos about this or are we (as parents) to work with the kids/tell them about this?  I am happy to do the latter, but just wasn’t sure if they were working on it at school at all…  Thanks – hope you are having a (rainy) good day!
A2:   It's just a home project; there was some concern about the perils of competition, so I'm keeping it low-key.
Q3:  I hope that you are all doing well.
[My girls] are beginning to work on designs for the Fall Festival buttons. Should I give them a 4x4 square piece of paper that they fill in with their own design? Do they need to worry about the button being a circle?
I am deficient in artsy things and can't figure out how a 4x4 square turns into a button:)
Thank you!
A3:  I think that starting with a 4" square piece of paper is a great idea.  I'd suggest that they think of a rounded design, but their precision isn't necessary, and starting with a square will likely keep their design close to the desired parameters.    I have an excellent button gal who does quick graphic work, and will add margins as necessary.  I explained the 4" decision above; it's a bit arbitrary, but has worked for me in the past.




No comments:

Post a Comment